Yesterday Mark Zuckerberg announced that there are more than 1 billion people using Facebook every month. His simple note read:
“This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.
If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.”
He also provided a useful fact sheet, telling us a little more about who is using Facebook and how they are using it:
- There are over 600 million monthly active mobile users
- There have been over 1.13 trillion Likes
- 219 billion photo uploads (excluding deleted photos)
- 17 billion location tagged posts and check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s 210,000 years of music
- The are 140.3 billion friendships on Facebook
Characteristics of users:
- The average age of users is 22
- At the time of hitting 1 billion users, the top five countries where people connected from were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States